So with six months in my current office, I have realized one thing, my boss is a total douchebag. In spite of putting my blood and sweat in a project he will somehow nit pick my mistakes and I will suffer his wrath. Not everybody takes “Public display of humiliation” very well. For instance, I have had occasions where my boss is blabbering about how I am a disappointment and in my head I am carving an image of pulling off his remaining hair and controlling an outburst After some nervous break downs and weeping sessions in the bathroom, I have come up with some handy tactics to thrive through such situations and not let my boss take the best of me. Here they are:
- Never EVER breakdown (at least not twice) – Especially our lady readers… do not weep in front of your boss. Well you can cry once if you like really have to. You might get the sympathy of you colleagues and the boss might just mellow down for a while. But dare you cry the second time! You will become the cry baby of the office.
- Choose your battles – Don’t argue or back talk to your boss on every urge (there are many). Handle small insults with a nod and let go of the things that don’t really matter. However, do answer back and voice your opinion for the things that you really care about. And when you do so… be firm about it.
- Boost his ego – It is sometimes okay to act like you are a fool. Let your crappy boss feel that he is the “know it all” monk and you are dying to get enlightened by his knowledge. In short massage his ego time and again.
- Vent Out – It is totally okay to bitch about your boss in a safe environment. It becomes easier to handle the pressure when your colleagues empathize with you. Ones you have discharged your anger, get over it. You have a life!
- Be the favorite of Boss’s Favorite – There is always one person whom the bosses LOVE! Become their favorite. Buy them nice gifts for birthdays and be buds with them. They will unconsciously pass a good word for you with the boss.
- Work – And… it doesn’t hurt to work sometimes. Although, there will be leeches to suck away your credit, but hard work always pay in some way in the other.