As per information available with the University Grants Commission (UGC), there are 21 Fake Universities which have been listed in the UGC list of Fake Universities and are functioning in contravention or violation of the UGC Act, 1956 in different parts of the country. The lists of Fake Universities/unrecognized institutions are available on the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in. According to the UGC, some institutions are offering Undergraduate/ Postgraduate degrees in various subjects which are not established under either Central/State or UGC Act and hence these Fake Universities do not have right to confer/grant any degree.
As per the information received from the UGC, some of the actions taken by UGC against these Fake Universities are as follows:
- For the awareness of general public/students/parents, the UGC puts up the list of fake institutions on its website. All self-styled unrecognized and unapproved institutions are cautioned that running of Undergraduate and Postgraduate degree courses and giving misleading advertisements shall attract severe action under the provisions of appropriate laws including the UGC Act and the Indian Penal Code, etc.
- Cases have also been filed in various courts by UGC against fake universities/institutions.
- The UGC in the interest of general public/students defends the cases in the court. Action relating to closing down the fake institution is to be taken by the concerned state government and local authorities.
- The UGC has also written to the Vice Chancellor/ Director/ In charge of the 21 fake universities to close the down the fake institutions immediately.
- Reminder letters to the State/UT Principal Secretaries/Education Secretaries have been issued to take the appropriate action against the Fake Universities located in their jurisdiction.
This information was given by the Union Human Resource Development Minister,Smriti Irani in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha question.