Iwata, 30 March 2015: It was seventeen years ago that Yamaha unveiled the original YZF-R1 in the city of Milan. Light, powerful and agile, the R1 offered a whole new level of performance to the supersport rider. And in one brief moment the world of motorcycling was changed forever.
History has a habit of repeating itself. Now, two decades on from the arrival of the machine that transformed the bike world, Yamaha raises the bar once again with the release of its next generation superbike!
New YZF-R1. Everything is different, except the name. Right from the beginning of the project it was agreed that this totally new high performance pure sport motorcycle would be developed from scratch without any restrictions. This gave our engineers and designers the opportunity to explore new concepts and designs, and create the kind of machine that, up to now, only factory riders could ever experience.
YZF-R1 Technical highlights
- New 998cc crossplane in-line 4-cylinder, 4-valve engine
- New crossplane crankshaft design delivers linear torque output
- Maximum power output of 200PS (without ram air pressurization)
- 79.0mm x 50.9 mm bore x stroke, high compression ratio of 13.0:1
- Lightweight titanium fracture-split con rods
- Lightweight forged aluminium bridge-box pistons
- Large diameter valves and high efficiency intake ports
- Rocker arm valve drive with diamond like carbon (DLC) coating
- 2-directional 12-hole injectors
- Low-tension piston rings
- Piston pins with diamond like carbon (DLC) coatingYamaha Motor Europe N.V. / 2015 Press Information / EICMA R1 Information (3 November 2014) Page 9of 25
- Offset cylinder design
- Large capacity 10.5 litre airbox
- Titanium 4-2-1 exhaust with midship muffler and new exhaust valve
- Lightweight assist and slipper clutch
- High efficiency centralized lubrication system
- YCC-I and YCC-T
- Compact and lightweight radiator
Special edition YZF-R1M
Yamaha will produce a special R1 edition aimed at professional teams and highly experienced riders who demand the ultimate track and race performance. Featuring a range of highly sophisticated equipment – including Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS), carbon bodywork, a Communication Control Unit (CCU) and high-specification Bridgestone tyres – the YZF-R1M will be produced in limited quantities.